Rubiao

This should just prove how tough rating bbq is. Depends on the day, the weather, who is smoking, where its cut, who is seasoning, position of the sun, and a butterfly flapping its wings in Africa. I've had great and awful brisket at Piersons. The best I've been served was at Thelma's. Burns has been up and down for me as well. I've produced brisket in a home upright smoker that was perfect, and some that was far less so.

One of the things that impresses me about Goode Co and Pappas is the consistency. Never the best yet never the worst. I know its heresy, but its usually pretty good. And less of a haul than Snow's.

Rubiao, I couldn't agree with you more. Consistency is what separates the pros from the gifted amateurs, and it seems to be a real challenge in the world of BBQ. Some nail it: I've never had a disappointing rib at City Market in Luling, for example.

But being consistent isn't enough. I wish Pappas (and to some degree, Goode) didn't set the benchmark so low in terms of flavor – at both of those places, I wouldn't dream of eating the brisket without sauce.

Candice

I disagree with your very first sentence! Austin is the best food city in Texas, and I'll kick yer behind if you don't believe. me :-p

I love Austin, and spent the better part of two decades there. But in terms of food, it doesn't hold a candle to Houston, either on the high end or in terms of the amazing spread of affordable casual spots that turn out fantastic food.

It is easier to find good BBQ in town in Austin, though.

Dragana

I love Austin but it can't compete! Given the size of Houston, one can find a greater variety in ethnic eateries and price, and the competition provides for better quality.

H-TownRealtor

My favorite BBQ joint in Austin is Salt Lick in Driftwood. Awesome!